21 May 2011

windows are rolled down, sun is setting high

so i left before they did, right after the game, because they had to ride the bus back but i was in my car. out of the lot at the light, i went south until there was a choice about getting on the freeway or staying on the highway and i chose the highway and if ever there was a correct choice, that was one right there. the traffic was easy, just enough cars to have someone to play with and jockey around and when you can do it right it's like dancing. the roof open. the window down. the temps are pure perfection and the wind is just tossing my plain white tee against my arm, and the shirt is soft and the air is soft and the road is soft and i glide through that place between hogan and the shell station and it's like magic, the road just opens up. gently through town and back into the open where there's not a red light between me and the next county and i open it up again and the other cars are spaced - just - so - and i dodge left - right - left again and shoot past the old homestead and over the hill to the traffic signal where there is amazingly no one in the oncoming lanes, so when i make my left, i can cut my path across all the painted lines and hit the hill with steady pace and then i am through past the mall catching every. single. signal. green! green means go, around to the east then south then east and on the penultimate stretch past the hospital there is (literally) not another car so i get my buddy my pal my little slingshot car up to 70 then let go of the gas right there by the goose pond and glide effortlessly - but with such precision it would make you cry - glide just up to the traffic signal for one more stop, then it's all on go, the home stretch, through the gully where the air is always so cold and up again to the hill where my house sits, waiting for me to open the garage and come inside.

1 Comments:

At 24 May, 2011 19:45, Blogger J Dot said...

Nicely done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home