20 December 2009

storytime

i admit, i can be a bit of a scrooge. around solticefest, besides the obvious gift expenses, we do more eating out and more going to the movies and more little extravagances like stopping for a grande christmas blend. and i really do want to do it all, but i can't help but think about the cost. i have gotten somewhat better about keeping these concerns to myself, and i really don't mean to spoil anyone's fun. it's just my thang, that's all.

the two solticefest stories i've shared here the past couple days are about the sum total of my solticefest memories. okay, not exactly. i have plenty of snapshot memories - from giving my jr high school bff an album by that new comedian steve martin to receiving the annual pearl for my add-a-pearl to creme drops and oranges in stockings. i remember big pans of scrambled aiggs at granda-bec's house. i remember spiced round and fruitcake at the matriarch's house. i remember sweet rolls with family at my own house.

my memory doesn't work by storing a lot of stories. i have more like boxes of snapshots than reels of 8mm in my head. sometimes something someone says can trigger a story, but i can't usually dredge them up on my own. so if you want to hear a story you think i might know, you're going to have to ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home